What to do if You are a Victim of a Hit and Run Accident

December 20th, 2018 | Posted in Uncategorized

It is against the law to flee the scene of a crime. Nevertheless, countless motorists take off after
crashing into another driver or a pedestrian. Their reasons vary. Some are drunk and do not want
to get picked up for DUI. Others lack insurance and are afraid to acknowledge as much. Other
drivers might be too young and afraid that they will lose their license because of the accident, so
they speed away to avoid being caught.

Whatever the reason for the at-fault driver fleeing the scene, being on the receiving end of a hit
and run can be devastating. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, there are steps you
must take to preserve your right to compensation. We can not guarantee our clients that we can
find the person who hit them, but we will do what we can to make sure injured victims of car
accidents receive some compensation.

Check Your Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage
UM coverage will pay compensation when you are struck by a motorist who lacks insurance. It
will also cover most hit and run accidents. North Carolina requires that motorists carry uninsured
motorist insurance, and it should be included along with your bodily injury and property damage
Pull out your policy and check for any limitations or restrictions. Insurance policies can be tricky
to comprehend, so you might need to meet with a lawyer if you have questions.

Report the Accident to the Police
Many insurance policies require that you report an accident within a certain time frame, usually
24 hours. Do not delay. Report any information you have about the driver who struck you,
● Make, model, and color of the vehicle
● License plate number (if you recognized it)
● Where the accident took place
● Date and time of the accident
Ask for the police report number or get a copy of the police report. Your insurer will probably
want to see it.

Keep Medical Bills

You will need to submit a claim to your UM insurer, which will probably want to see medical
bills and receipts. It is easy to lose slips of paper, so get a big folder and put everything in it.
When it comes time to submit your bills to your insurer, make copies for your records. If the
insurer loses the original bills, you will at least have a copy. You can also scan all bills and
receipts so that you have a digital copy on your computer.

Contact a Wilmington Car Accident Attorney if There are Problems

Submitting an uninsured motorist claim is not complicated, but problems sometimes arise. Some
insurers are aggressive about trying to minimize claims, and you might need an attorney to
negotiate with the insurer to get the full compensation to which you are entitled.
If you have been involved in a car accident, please reach out to Hodges Coxe Potter & Phillips
today. We are a leading North Carolina personal injury firm, and we can help you get the
compensation you require after a hit and run.
Please call 910-772-1678 to schedule a free consultation.